English Breakfast (Organic)
An English Breakfast tea that is perfect any time of the day. This bright, robust, and well – balanced premium Organic English Breakfast tea is the perfect combination of brisk and bold.
Traditional Preparation: Measure 1 tsp of loose tea and add to a tea filter or strainer (or use one tea bag). Steep in 8-12 oz freshly boiled water for 5 minutes. Delicious on its own, or with a splash of milk or a lemon wedge.
Iced English Breakfast Tea Recipe: Steep 2 tsp (or two tea bags) of this tea in 6oz freshly boiled water for 5 minutes. Sweeten while warm if desired. At this point you can chill the tea in the freezer for 10 minutes (remove tea leaves or tea bags first) or pour into a glass over ice slowly. (The ice will partially dissolve) Add a splash of lemonade for a delicious Arnold Palmer.
Ingredient: 100% organic black tea.
The Health Benefits of Black Tea
Black tea is brimming with goodness. The naturally occurring flavonoids in black teas act as antioxidants. These are compounds that prevent cell damage by neutralizing free radicals. Cell damage has been linked to many chronic diseases including cancer and cardiovascular disease.
Tea is simply loaded with antioxidants – in fact two cups of tea contain the antioxidant levels of seven glasses of orange juice, or four apples!
While tea does contain caffeine (around 25 to 34mg per serving, far less than coffee) this caffeine is bundled with several compounds that work to prevent an energy ‘spike’ and promote a gentler, extended ‘lift’ to help sustain energy and focus throughout the day.
Black tea has been linked to:
- Decreased risk of cardiovascular disease (heart disease and stroke) through improved cholesterol levels and reduced cell damage
- Providing some protective benefits against cancer through antioxidants
- Immune system strength – tea contains theanine, a unique amino acid that supports the immune system, helping our bodies defend against infections, bacteria, and viruses. In one clinical trial, participants who consumed five cups of black tea daily for two to four weeks experienced a 2x – 4x increase in interferon in their immune cells.
- Bone strength and oral health. Tea is a natural source of fluoride which helps protect tooth enamel, and studies have shown that habitual tea drinkers had healthy bone mineral density in later life.
- Kidney stone prevention – a recent study found that for every eight ounce cup of tea female participants drank daily, their risk of developing these painful stones decreased by eight percent. (Participants had no history of stones) Another study showed a decreased risk of 14% in men.
With all these benefits going for it, it’s no wonder that tea is the second most frequently consumed beverage in the world. Enjoy it hot or over ice, any time you need a healthful lift to your day.