Farm to cup: How we source our teas at Pluck
Image: Rwanda Mountain Tea
At Pluck, we make delicious teas each day in our very own production facility. We take great care to source fresh, high quality ingredients for our teas directly from farmers and producers that we know and trust.
The first Pluck teas were blended with dried fruits and flowers purchased from farmers at a local market in Toronto. From day one, our company committed to sustainable and ethical sourcing as our Tea for Good promise to our customers.
As we have grown, this commitment has never wavered. We are very proud of our supply chain, and the incredible people behind the teas we make.
While the tea plant itself (camellia sinensis) does not grow in Canada, several ingredients that we use in our tea blends are sourced right here in our own back yard.
Some examples of Canadian ingredients include:
Citrus peel, dried and upcycled from our friends at Chaser's Juice
Grape skins from Organic and Biodynamic Southbrook Vineyards
Lavender from the sun drenched fields of the Prince Edward County Lavender farm
Cacao shells left over from our bean to bar friends at Chocosol
Cranberries sourced and dried in Nova Scotia
Ginseng from an Ontario ginseng farm
Tea (Camellia Sinensis) Sourcing:
- We work directly with a growing network of Rainforest Alliance, Fair Trade, and Organic certified tea farms to source the freshest, highest quality teas possible directly. Our partnership with Rwanda Mountain Tea for our Pluck Pekoe teas is a great example of this.
- Our Premium Organic Matcha is directly sourced from Kagoshima, Japan, and is delivered to us several times annually to ensure optimal freshness.
- Our entire tea supply chain has been verified, vetted and approved by the Ethical Tea Partnership – the industry gold standard for ensuring fair trade, sustainability, and quality of life for tea workers. Find out more about their mission here.
Product Safety and Certifications
- Prior to shipment, our Organic teas are independently verified and certified by Pro–Cert in Canada. This independent certification body also comes to our production facility annually to ensure that everything from our dish soap to our storage areas are Organic compliant, and to conduct a detailed audit of our organic product sales and imports to ensure they match perfectly.
- Pluck Tea operates under GMP (Good Manufacturing Processes) and HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Procedures) protocols, and is audited by a third party on a regular basis.